Saturday, October 31, 2009

Hi, I just got back from Iraq. My doctor has prescribed me wellbutrin 300mgs a day and zoloft 100mgs a day and

15 miligrams of valium a day. Is this safe? It seems a lot to me, I dont believe i have ptsd, just some readjusting/anger issues.
Answer:
It's not a lot to take, it might be if you're just starting to take them (referring to the antidepressants). You're supposed to start w/ small doses and increase as needed. I also take 300mg of Wellbutrin %26 100mg of Zoloft. Not a big deal. I also take Klonopin, anywhere from 1-2mg when needed, which is stronger than Valium. For anxiety, 15-30mg of Valium is normal. Dosages for adults can range from 2-10mg taken 2-4 times a day or 15-30mg once a day. So 15 isn't a lot. As long as you feel fine, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're worried it's too much, decrease the dosage on your own or talk w/ your doctor.
That IS an awful lot, but I'm no doctor. The 15 mg. of Valium alone would knock me out for most of a day! I'm surprised he put you on that anyway, it's extremely addicting.
well if you say you have anger issues from iraq he may not say you have pts but he may thinking you may not adjust quickly in a given situation sense you said you have some anger issues so he may trying keep you calm and the valium is addictive and that's a pretty strong dose the zoloft treats depression and the wellbutrin may be a antipsychotic I am not a doctor so you may ask about all of it and people also use wellbutrin to stop smoking cigarettes take care and take it easy don't push yourself to hard, and thanks for being a servant for our nation, GOD bless
wow I would say thats alot to be on I was on Wellbutrin and wow i wasn't on that much and then I still thought just the Wellbutrin was a lot
Welcome Home! You people are doing a great job.

I am on 200 mg of Zoloft and 300 mg of Wellbutrin XL. They are both anti-depressants but they work differently and they enhance each other. The amount of valium I would question. It sounds a little heavy. Try anger management classes; you don't want to hurt yourself or anyone else.

Good luck.
that is a lot. I would consult your doctor about your concerns and if that doesn't help get a second opinion from a qualified expert.

I wish you luck, also thank you for serving in the military.
Each medication is aimed at separate aspects of your condition.
valiulm - works to calm you for a few hours
Wellbutrin - elevates your mood on the day you take it
Zoloft - is to bring-up your brain chemistry to sustain it at a normal level -elevates your mood - this works on a delay of 2 to 3 weeks

If you have further questions about the appropriateness of taking all 3 together, ask your pharmacist.
Taking two antidepressants is unwise unless there were serious clinical reasons for doing so. There is an increased risk of side effects both in the short immediate term and in the long term. There have been few if any clinical studies on combining two antidepressants. Diazepam is very addictive. I recommend that you read this resource http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/...
If you have just come from a war zone it is not abnormal to have problems readjustment and anger problems. That is not a chemical imbalance but a natural mindset. It is normal to have such feelings just like it is normal to grieve after a parent dies or be devastated when a wife walks out on a husband. I am not sure if you have a genuine mental illness and am not sure on the logic of prescribing powerful psychotropic drugs for normal feelings. Although obviously I don't know your degree of suffering from 1 paragraph only you know. I think counselling would be better. You may be able to get talk therapy from your loved ones or friends without going to a professional but if your feelings are severe then maybe talking to a professional would help. I would suggest you research the pills you are taking. They are not smarties like some doctors prescribe them as especially when taken long term.If you do not have serious mental health problems then don't use powerful psychiatric drugs. If I were you I would take them for the shortest time possible. If you have been taking them longer than a few weeks I would not stop them abruptly as you can have withdrawal symptoms or as they are sometimes called by doctors "discontinuation syndrome/symptoms".
Sedatives such as diazepam can especially make you go nuts coming off it and can wreck your emotions and memory with long term use. I know people who didn't abuse benzodiazepines such as diazepam who are more messed up from those type of pills than meth addicts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


How can I © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net