Sunday, October 25, 2009

Help with obsessive compulsive disorder?

I have recently been diagnosed with OCD. I am glad to pin a name on my problem, but I still don't know what to do. I don't want to take any drugs, so does anyone know of self-therapy that works or of a site that may help me? Thank you.
Answer:
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and exposure and response prevention (ERP) are both standard therapies for OCD. The only thing is it can take a few sessions to start to work and you have to find someone (Licensed clinical social worker or a psychologist (fake doctor)) who specializes in or at least knows how to do the therapies, and that can be difficult.

Make sure you ask them about both therapies (and learn about them too) when you look for a therapist. What they can tell you about them will give you a lot of insight into whether they can actually do them or not.

There are many honest therapists who will tell you if they don't specialize in or know how to do the therapies, but there are a lot who will just say that they know how to do them just to get patients (one psychiatrist specifically warned me on this).

Also, I didn't mention medication because you said that you did not want to go on it. Anti depressants, used short term in the beginning of your treatment, will help your anxiety immensely. Also, CBT works just as well as an Anti Depressant, it just takes longer to work.

Do your research and good luck.
IDK What u obessively compulsive about.
There are message boards you can post at and talk to other people with OCD like myself. You could make friends and it would be completely anonymous since it is online so you could feel comfortable with everyone. www.healthboards.com has an OCD forum and http://www.stuckinadoorway.org/... are two. There are more if you type it into yahoo.com
Whoever diagnosed you should have provided the information you need. I would be doing web searches on this. And---if it is a real problem in your life, you should consider medication---that is not the same as "taking drugs", it is "taking medicine". Big difference.

If the person who diagnosed you with OCD did not make any recommendations to you, I'd seek a second opinion from someone who will spend some time with you on this. After all, if I take my car to a mechanic and he diagnoses a flat tire, I'd expect him to come up with a plan for fixing it.
therapy may work, but there's is no site that can help you with OCD.
Cognitive therapy is very helpful with this. Very successful I have heard.
My friend found a low dose of an atypical antipsychotic worked well. Talk to your doctor about therapy and medication options, and decide from there what is best for you.
I have a pretty severe case of ocd, and honestly, medication works fantastic. compulsions and obsessions are gone after a month. i recomend you go to a therapist so they can prescribe you drugs. Trust me they help. Also if you don't want that, when you're about to do one of your obsesions, distract yourself, count to ten, go get a glass of water. thats what my therapist told me, but still the medication works.
See the section on OCD at http://www.ezy-build.net.nz/~shaneris... on page 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


How can I © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net