Sunday, October 25, 2009

Help! i dont know what to do?

well basically this year i feel very depressed, lost the will to live and barely ever feel happy, i also did what some people call "stupid" (slfhm) and i feel too much is happening and i cant stop it, my friends have tried to help, and i appreciate that, my family have seen the difference in me and they think its because im "growing up". which is probably is. i think its because of hormones and stuff but im not sure, has anyone else felt like this and got over it??
Answer:
Hi hun. I think it definitely helps that you told us you are 14, as a lot of people go through the same feelings when they are about your age.

If it helps at all, when I was about 14-18, I often felt very low. A lot of it was due to a turbulent relationship that I was in, but other times I would just feel generally sad. I always felt that I had too much spinning around my head and sometimes things got on top of me. I remember not really having a 'zest' for life until I hit 20. It wasn't that I hated life or didn't want to be alive, I just did not see the point of life and didn't feel excited about being alive.

In my experience, that changes as you get older. I'm 22 now and I'm not exactly hyper or a thrill seeker, but I really appreciate life and most days I feel privelleged to be alive.

If by doing something 'stupid', you mean that you tried to commit suicide, you need to see that as a sign to get help with the emotions that you are feeling. You are not abnormal, weird, strange or stupid for feeling suicidal. Many people go through the same thing, and sometimes it seems like the only way out. Sometimes we also do not wish to die - it just somehow seems that attempting suicide is the only thing that will help us escape our emotions.

Sometimes we can find a way of sorting out our emotions without professional help. We can talk to our friends and family and also try to learn how to cope with things on our own. However, there are some things that may happen to us, or certain things that we experience, that it is impossible to deal with on our own. In those situations, it is always best to try to get help from someone who doesn't know you.

If you had a cold, you'd go and buy a load of tissues and some Lempsip, right? If you have emotions that are getting you down, and if this resulted in you self-harming or considering/attempting suicide, then you get treatment for that too.

If you went to see your doctor and mentioned that you tried to commit suicide, he would most likely send you to see someone who could help you feel better about things. You won't be wasting anyone's time - people are paid to help you with these things.

Much of how you're feeling probably comes down to your hormones, but of course that doesn't make it any easier for you to deal with.

One thing to think of is this: if you are hungy, do you go and get food? If you are lonely, do you call someone up? If you are bored, do you find something to entertain you?

If you feel no love for life, try to *find* something that you will love. I write poetry and find that it really helps me to get down my emotions. You can also try writing a diary, or writing letters that you will never send. It sounds silly, but the act of writing someone down in paper is like the feeling of "getting something off your chest" - only much more cathartic. It can really help you to feel calmer and see things in perspective.

If you're anything like me, you won't feel like this forever. Being a teenager is a bit of a weird thing - people underestimate the emotions and issues you go through at this time. You sound very mature and it is really nice that you appreciate the help of your friends and family.

Keep letting people in, find something that you enjoy doing and keep your chin up: things will get better. If you EVER start seriously contemplating suicide or self-harm, you need to get out of your room, get straight on the bus and go straight to your doctor or local A%26E. Or pick up the phone and call or text and friend or family member straight away.

I have included some links below to help you.

xx Emmie
read books, they will distract you from the way you feel.
choose books that are not romance or happy life things, as you might get more depressed, try detectives or anything that interests you so your mind is occupied and also you learn stuff, if you read some documentary or real life stories...
i've been there and trust me books help a lot.

later you'll see how even your speaking skills will improve. and people will see that too and honestly this make impression
Yes I've felt this way for a long time now I've been very depressed alot too. The best thing you can do for yourself is try and see if you can go to counseling. If that doesn't work then maybe you should ask your family doctor if you can get on anti-depressanits if that help. And yes I still feel depressed to this very day but going to counseling really helps.
Let's see, the population on earth is about 6 billion and maybe 60% are beyond teenagerhood, so, yes, around 3.6 billions others have felt like this and got over it.

Have enough hobbies (or activities) to keep busy at one of them or start something new that'll give you a fantastic sense of accomplishment when completed.
i'm going to assume you're 13/14 b/c of your username..regardless of age, if this has been a persistent state for you, then I think that needs attention. Talk to a school counselor or nurse, if you have one. Whether it's due to hormones or not, it wouldn't hurt to talk to a professional. If your school doesn't have a counselor, tell your parents you would like to see a therapist. A few sessions wouldn't be that much (mostly covered by insurance if you have any). My sessions were only $15 each...insurance paid the rest. $115 w/out it. I hope this helps. Again, don't ignore this if you feel it's something serious. Better to address this now than to let it worsen over time. Good luck.
Hi ... u have my sympathy , my 13 year old son suffers with ocd and depression ... u should talk to your parents and make an appointment to see your GP , he can then get a therapist and psychiatrist so u can talk things over with them . u are not alone ... my boy is on anti depressants , it was a decision that we didn't take lightly and not one i recommend ... if u can talk thro your depression then that's wonderful , so please talk to your family they will give u all the support that u need... After all that's what family is for .
good luck and if u want to ask me anything just mail me :)
Yup it's hormones affecting ur brainz. You need to stay cool, read a book, or watch a movie, but nothing violent, sad or weird(drama/violent/evil movyz%26books). Occupy your free time wit things you enjoy!
Speak with others, make them laugh, cuz laughing is addictive :) . And DO NOT slfhm urself. Razors won't help you! take care :)
Hello! I was the same at your age, and I really feel for you. I found it quite difficult then to draw strands together, but I guess I just got through it. What I did was to just say no to whatever bad/stressy that came along. Its sounds a bit weird but just dont let it affect you. Sometimes when you think its all too much, just close your eyelids, sigh and then let allll that go out of your mind forever! Just do your homework, have a bit of fun, eat, go out and dont bother/take too much stress with the other things.
well i'm going throught the same thing (i posted a post about it but nobody answered yet.), and you might think then, how would I help if I can't help myself?
But just hear me out
You want to live through this period. I'm grasping on the smallest things just to have something to live for. Last year, it was God that stopped me from killing myself, and this year.well i don't have anything
So for now, you should probably read books. But not books of sadness, or books of hapiness because sadness will make you be absosrbed into...well, a sad world, and hapiness will make you long for the life in the book, which you probably won't be able to have, and that'll drive you insane. So read exciting books, like red wall, artemis fowl, Into the Wild series, etc. Something that doesn't trigger a longing or sadness.
Or if you're not into books, try video games.
Hi hon, I was getting like that at 14, got really bad at 17. Please please go and speak to a teacher you trust, the practice nurse at your dr's surgery, school counsellor if you have one. I am now 26 and for the past few years have managed to love life! I waited until it was really bad to get help and it is so so so much easier if you can talk to someone. I have felt like you have, and there is an end to it and hope for recovery. But you do need to tell someone like your Mum or anyone above. All the best, Rach x
aww hun. come here . you need hugs . wheres yer mum? you need friends you must have a cuddle . but any way . yes we all go through it . it will pass.. being 14 is the worst age in your life. when you get past 14 ,15 16 and 17 is a bit better . you'll be ok . believe me . ive been there . i know. relax everything will be fine
Listen: you WILL feel better, but you must get the right help; I would strongly advise you to speak to your doctor, and to confide in a good friend or relative about how low you are feeling.

Teenagers often do get depressed, but it doesn't really matter why it's happening; what matters is that you are unhappy, and it doesn't need to be this way. Your doctor should refer you for therapy, and you may also benefit from taking anti depressants.

If you do take medication, bear in mind that they take a good three or four weeks to kick in, also that you may possibly have to try more than one, though if you're lucky the first one you try will do the trick.

Do seek the right help: depression is horrible and at your age you should be full of energy and optimism! And you can be, with the right help.

Perhaps a relative could go with you to the doctor, for a bit of support?

Or maybe you have a school counsellor you can trust, and seek help from?

Good luck with it.
Go to your doctor straight away. tell him exacly how you feel.
You need to sort this out in the early stages before your feelings become uncontrolable.
I know how you feel cos I've been suffering with similar symptoms since I was 12, I found the best way to cope is with regular exercise. I didn't believe people when they told me to exercise but it really does help! I also meditate, it really calms your mind, try searching on the internet for meditation techniques, or just find somewhere quiet where you'll not be disturbed, sit or lie down and get comfortable then close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing. Ignore any thoughts that pop into your head ( that's the hard bit but if you're struggling try counting your breaths) Do this for 20 - 30 mins a day. My best friend swears by yoga that's really helping her through a difficult time at the moment.
Instead of hurting yourself try gripping ice cubes I know this has helped people.
You should talk to someone about your feelings, if you don't feel comfortable talking fo friends or family then you could always ring the Samaritans, they will listen and not judge you. You can get their number from yell.com
Good luck and hope you feel better soon xx
yep it looks like the old hormones are kicking in!! we all have to go thru it but you ll come thru in the end try and do more after school stuff to keep your energy going and try to relax eat lots of fresh fruit and veg stay healthy it will pass, been there got the tshirt etc!! good luck! x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


How can I © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net