Sunday, October 25, 2009

Heroin addiction?

Our daughter is a heroin addict. She is extremely intelligent and has a college degree. She says she wants to quit, but will not go through detox (withdrawl) as she has done this before. We have been told that methadone and suboxone treatments are a possible solution for her. Any feedback on this?
Answer:
I myself was a heroin addict. I am also highly intelligent (Phi Beta Kappa, MENSA, honors college, deans/presidents lists.,..the whole thing) and I lost it all because of heroin. Some people don't need the medical professionals helping them, some know exactly what they need to do, and just need the love and support of their family and friends to do so. I tried intake once, and it didn't work for me either. Neither did methadone. I just needed to find what made me happy, music for me - and the love and support of my friends and parents, and I wanted to stop doing it. I will amend this if you have any more questions, I want to help anyone who is going thru this, it is SO hard to do. It will take years not to think of doing it again, but it has been 3 for me, and I am back on track to entering medical school now. Let her wean off it on her own, giving her a safe clean place to be with the love and care she needs. This is a mental and physical breakdown for her, make sure she has support. I know this may sound crazy, but just offer to make her as confortable as possible, if she will do it in your own home. It will get very intense, but she can do it.
Herion is a very hard drug to quit. It changes the chemical makeup in your brain and adjusts the levels of neurotransmitters that are produced and released. Even though methadone and suboxone treatments are possible it is still difficult and you have to make a decision to not use everyday. It is not a drug that you can just quit. She needs to be patient and know that it will take time. My thoughts are with you and your family. Good luck!!
If your daughter seriously wants to quit she would go to any lengths to do that, including detox. Relapse after a detox is VERY common, she is not alone. I would suggest she go to a 30 day inpatient treatment facility. There she can detox and get her grounding to do the footwork to remain clean. I personally have never taken methadone, but know some that have. For them it was just trading one addiction for another. A drug is a drug is a drug.
Best wishes.
My husband is a recovering heroin addict and we both agree that the medhadone is just substituting one addiction for another. Many people are dependent on that because your body doesn't learn to fight it and not need it on its own. Unfortunately the most success is usually from going through detox and then moving through rehab. My husband also did it twice, but has been clean for over 4 1/2 years. Find a good place where she feels comfortable and be a strong support system. If she really wants to get clean, she will do whatever it takes, if not, she's not ready. Good luck, I know it's hard.
Methadone has worked for some. Make sure she does not go on a methadone maintenance program. Basically she will still be an addict only the goverment will be supplying her drugs. I would speak to some one who has a casac, I am still working towards mine at this time. Please do a lot of research before making any decisions. Some things work for some people, they may not work for your daughter. Also, whatever happens, you should also go to therapy for education and support. God luck.
I am currently taking suboxone myself, after being on heroin for years and would recommend that above any methadone, methadone is just as bad if not worse than heroin. Suboxone takes away all the withdrawl symptoms, she won't be sick at all and she can have her life back if she wants it
methadone and suboxone are bandaids to a deeper, more serious problem. the 12-step programs available are the proven method of choice among recovering addicts.
i am a narcotics anonymous member(NA) and there are friends who stop using heroin. i mean it is possible to stop. we believe that there is no known cure of addiction in the world except a group support and solidarity. but also addict must be aware of the effects of substance to his/her life and how it ruined his/her life and make a decision.
you can find a NA group close to you and join conventions.
http://www.na.org
Quit giving her money. Drugs will eventually take everything from her and when she finally hits the bottom she will do something about it. Right now she has no reason to stop. But methadone is one way, but even still until she decides to get sober there is no answer for her. She is going to have to suffer some no matter how she goes about it. I hate drugs. They are such a waste of time, money and energy. Life is so short anyways. And its not just heroin its all drugs including alchohol. Oh well such is life. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


How can I © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net