Sunday, October 25, 2009

Help with some mental issues.?

Well basically, ever since I can remember (about 3 years ago in grade 6) my dad has been an a**hole to me, and my mom particularly. He's got this paranoia where he thinks people are out to get him so to speak, he doesn't trust us, he used to think I was trying to scam his money because I'd eat like 3 Whoppers at BurgerKing when I was fat about 2-3 years ago. I remember this one time where my mom got a gift certificate for $60 at this IGN marketplace and he thought her boss thought we were doing bad financially and started cussing and yelling. There's 6 people living in a duplex (we used to live in a 2 bedroom crackish apt). I'm 15 now. He's always swearing and yelling and being paranoid he's 6'6ft tall 300lbs, my mom seems very depressed too. Everyone in my family that I've talked to agrees that he's got problems. Because of this I feel sad and depressed, and I can't really feel happy when I'm around him. I always dream about moving away and having freedom and being away fromhim
Answer:
You're in a hell of a situation, that's for sure.
The one glimmer of hope is that when you are a couple of years older, you will be able to leave.
I wouldn't want to be in that situation. Nobody should have to put up with that, not you, not your mother, not anyone.
It sounds like your mom has no intention of leaving, for whatever reason, so the situation will stay the same for now.
While you're still there, you need to figure out how to manage the situation, and manage your father, as best you can.
Here are some tips.
1) this situation would make anyone depressed. That doesn't change the fact that you're depressed! I suggest getting to a doctor and talking about anti-depressants to get you through the next couple of years.
2) you need social support- make sure you have people who you can rely on to talk to.
3) don't aggravate him. There's no point, he's not going to change, and it only makes things worse.
4) But that doesn't mean you should cave into him when he's being really unreasonable. You might want to work on specific strategies for dealing with him in a calm yet assertive way. I don't know what those strategies might be or whether they would work, but a good counsellor might be able to help you with this. Emphasis on "good" and "might".
5) work toward your future- work towards being able to move out and be financially independent. Aim to do better than your father. You're smart (how do I know? because you have a well structured and coherent writing style, that's how), so you have the potential to do well in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


How can I © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net