Sunday, October 25, 2009

Help!--multiple choice BIPOLAR DISORDER?

People suffering from bipolar disorder often are helped by taking ________.
an antipsychotic
a tranquilizer
lithium carbonate
an antidepressant
Answer:
That is a trick question. The most common prescribed drug of them all is lithium but antipsychotics are also widely used. Antidepressants are typically avoided because they can cause mania. Tranquilizers are sometimes used too because people with bipolar disorder often can not sleep at night. If I had to choose one answer I would say Lithium but it's a close tie with antipsychotics.
an antidepressant
Lithium carbonate

(anti-depressants may trigger a manic episode; no need for anti-psychotic unless there are psychotic features; tranzquilzers would only sedate the patient perhaps unnecessarily)
The lithium carbonate. They aren't psychotic, or depressed (and depressants actually make it worse), and they don't need to be trainquilized.
I have been on all of the above..

Lithium carbonate is the most widely used, first approved, and most researched of the alternatives for treatment of bipolar disorder.
Sometimes a combination of all four. Sometimes lithium and tranquilizer. Sometimes lithium and anitpsychotic. Some times just one of each depending on the severity of the condition.
Do your own homework.

Post Email from Questioner:
I am SO sorry that you didn't like my answer, but asking us to give you the answers for your homework is wrong, and you know it.
I will not apologize for catching you cheating.
Do you like my answer any better now?
lithium, however usually once they feel better, they stop taking it and their symptoms come back stronger (it seems)
all of the above.
antipsychotic is very effective for manic phases of bipolar I.
tranquilizer is effective against mania, hypomania, insomnia and anxiety associated with bipolar I and II.
lithium is the oldest and the first line treatment for bipolar I and is effective against mania and to prevent reccurence of episodes.
antidepressants are effective against the depressive phase of bipolar I and II and can be combined with lithium to prevent switching to mania.
ALL of these drugs are approved for treatment of bipolar disorder.
lithium carbonate
lithium is the conventional med for bipolar. so i would choose that as the 'best" answer. all the others on the list may also be used, but lithium is best.
I TAKE ANTIDEPRESSANTS AND MOOD STABILIZERS. I THINK IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE PERSONS CHEMISTRY WHAT IS THEIR SYMPTOMS ETC. I'VE ALSO TAKEN ANTI PSYCHOTIC MEDS TOO SO IT JUST DEPENDS.
i guess lithium
my son is bipolar and he takes abilify which is an antipsychotic drug. i have heard lithium is a rare prescription except in severe cases. i dont know that for sure though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


How can I © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net