Tuesday, May 25, 2010

How can i gain the confidence to speak to my doctor?

I really would like to phone up my local doctor's clinic and make an appointment. I want to talk to him and ask my doctor so many questions.
I know i cannot diagnose myself over the internet, but im over 100% i have the things i look up everynight.

I feel i have: Social Anxiety, OCD and CSP. I know it seems that if i really wnated to get help, i would hve gone by now. But i just have this huge fear that he will say there is nothing wrong with me, im wasting my time etc.

Anyone know how to overcome this? Or should i not bother going?
Answer:
Please Go! Write down all your symptoms and things your thinking. Be honest with the Doctor and they will refer you to the Mental Health Professional you should be seeing. Trust that you know what is going on with yourself and just be honest. If the first Therapist does not work out go to another.

It will be worth your effort, believe me.
Well you just annouced to the world on yahoo so why wouldn't your doctor be less supportive..that is what he is there for.
Yes, you need to bother going. But talk to a therapist. Even in 2007, many regular medical doctors tend to dismiss complaints from females, especially young ones. Trying to diagnose yourself will drive you nutz.
Make an appointment with a counselor. Choose one you are comfortable with Male or Female and tell them. It is safe and easy TRUST YOURSELF YOU CAN DO THIS
Your doctor's job is to help you. If you talk to him/her and they make you feel uncomfortable, then THEY are not doing their job. It has nothing to do with you. Doctors know we are usually uncomfortable admitting there is something we feel is not right with us. They should make us feel comfortable and if you are made to feel like you are wasting their time, you might need to look for another doctor.
I honestly belive you should write all that you are worried about and how you feel. You should take your notes with you and ask the doctor everything you need to ask. Its his job to listen and answer you.
I call my kids doctor when ever I have a question, and I expect him to answer my call! If he doesn't I'll give him hell for it. Its my right to ask and to know.
The doctor would tell you what he thinks he can not force you to do anything you dont want to and if you dont like his answers then go to another doctor. Its as simple as that!
Good Luck and God Bless
You do need to go hun. There will always be anxiety about going, however if it is bothering you and causing you distress in your life , then please start looking for answers as to why you are feeling like that.
Good luck to you !
Sometimes you won't get a good doctor who doesn't genuinely listen to your fears. All they have to base their decisions on is what you tell them. Just be sure to stress how this is affecting your life. Definitely go though. Ask all of the questions that you have. All this will have been made harder by the fact that you probably have those things. Bring a friend if that would help.
I had the same problem about making myself clear. I knew I had depression, but I didn't want to admit it. (dang male pride, I thought I could tough it out)
It took a near breakdown in my counselor's office for me to make an appointment to see my doctor.
The counselor wrote everything I had to do and say, or I would have not been able to do it. I had to sneak a call from work (cell phones are forbidden) to talk to my doctor's office.
Please write everything down so you don't forget. A friend reminded me that the doctor is YOUR employee, you are the one paying the bill so make him or her listen.
First, make a written list of what you consider your symptoms and take it to the appointment you are going to make.

Second, ask a friend you trust to accompany you as an advocate who can share if you get tongue-tied.

Third, you may not want to go to a local doctor's clinic but to a mental health center with the symptoms you describe.

There is nothing wrong with asking for help, rather silly not to ask for help. Go!
Go!

You need to find a qualified therapist that really knows about social anxiety, OCD and CSP (I'm not sure what this last one is).

If you find someone that really knows these things and has experience, then you are not going to say ANYTHING to them that they have not already heard.

Keep in mind that OCD is NOT you. You are not OCD. Just because you may have very disturbing obsessive thoughts that does not mean you are bad or crazy or anything like that.

Everyone has weird thoughts. With OCD however, the thoughts get stuck and then the OCD sufferer starts to doubt themselves. "Gosh... if I'm thinking about this sooooo much it must mean that it is me." NOT TRUE. The thoughts bother you. The rituals (compulsions) bother you. You would not recommend them to anyone - right?

Have faith in YOU.

I belief that OCD sufferers tend to be very nice, kind-hearted people and OCD takes advantage of that by focusing on things that are most disturbing and painful.

OCD makes a person worry exessively about harm or doing harm to the people and things they care the most about. That is OCD not YOU. if it were YOU, it wouldn't bother you.

Definitely get help. Talk to your parents or other family members that you feel you can trust. Not only do you need to find a therapist that can help you also need support from loved-ones.

In your search for help, you need to find someone that knows cognitive behavior therapy / exposure response prevention. These are the techniques that have been shown by research to actually work and achieve long term relief.

Get help. Get support.

Getting your confidence:

OCD is not you.
YOU are not bad.
YOU are not OCD thoughts.
YOU are not crazy.
You are not alone.
OCD and social anxiety can be effectively treated.

If you are really worried about talking about all of this initially, write it down and take that with you to your Doctor so that you have something from which you can both work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


How can I © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net