Tuesday, May 25, 2010

How can I change my sleep cycle? During my undergraduate days I regularly woke up after 11.30am..?

Now I'm a doctoral student, and find it impossible to get out of bed earlier than 11.30am. My work is suffering. Sometimes I get out of bed as late as 4pm. What can I do? I will never be able to hold down a job - I'll always be late, I just know it.
Answer:
Set an alarm clock that is loud and annoying, place it across the room from where you sleep, so that you have to get up to shut it off. Be realistic about getting proper sleep and nutrition. You will rarely be late if you make being on time a pattern of behaviour.

For behaviour changing answers see: http://www.taijilongevitystudio.com...
You need to get to bed earlier, so try getting to bed at a reasonable hour, say 10pm or maybe 10.30pm is you really want to be punctual.

Why are you getting out of bed at 4 in the afternoon. Are you really that tired and rundown. Maybe you need to take some tonic to put some energy and life back into you.

Try seven seas orange tonic. I use that when im run down and it puts a spring in my step in no time.
Get that alarm on, leap out of bed, and get on with your life
You can try melatonin to help readjust your bio-clock, and it may require you to stay awake too (sleep deprivation), for an extra day, to "catch up" on a night's sleep, and help you return to a more normal cycle.
I think some people are just wired this way. I think I am. But, if you think you are going to fail, you will. Force yourself to get up and then when you get home from your job, take a nap. If you are anything like me, you love to take naps!
you have to go to bed half hour earlier every couple days and get up half hour early, you will soon get used to it, also don't have to dark curtains up and if all else fails pay someone to drag you out of bed
There is a sleep disorder (the name of which escapes me) that means your body clock doesn't respond in a normal way and no matter how many alarm clocks and people try to wake you you won't stay awake. There is medication you can take to help but the first thing you need to do is see your GP who will understand study and training difficulties. If all is well in that area, make sure you go to bed early no matter if you don't sleep at first. Have a warm bath, drink camomile tea and take a good book to bed. The more you try to sleep the harder it is to get off to sleep so try distracting your mind. Counting sheep to get to sleep is not as daft as it sounds as this will take your mind off trying to sleep. Use dark curtains to get to sleep and ask a friend or parent to draw them back at the appropriate time. You can try Melatonin but it doesn't work for everyone. It will take time for your body to readjust but it will happen and you will be able to regulate your sleep again. DON'T GIVE UP. Best wishes and good luck to you and someday I'm sure you will make a fine doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


How can I © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net