Tuesday, May 25, 2010

How can I control compulsive shopping?

I just got paid today, %26 I have OCD, %26 I'm a compulsive shopper. What are some ways that can I control myself?
Answer:
Have you spoken to a certified professional about your problem? If not, one will be able to suggest healthy, productive ways to combat the compulsive behavior. Instead of shopping, make a list of all the things you need for your future, and then a list of the things you would have purchased had you hit the mall. Which list is better for your future? Do clothes, shoes, and purses help you pay for college or rent? Here's a hint I got from Oprah: If it goes on your *** it's not an asset.
You may need professional help. Speak to a counselor at your school.

If you have to stop, you have to STOP. STOP ALL OF IT. There is no way to shop in a controlled way if it is an addiction for you. Just like an alcoholic can't have just 1 beer a day. You need to stop it all.

Cut up your credit cards, give your debit cards to someone you trust. Explain the problem, and keep yourself out of any shopping environment for 30 straight days.

You need to work on what is behind this. You probably like the feeling you get when you shop. Well, I think you know the price is too high. If it satisfies your OCD then try other, alternate, FREE things to satisfy it. Draw pictures, make collages from old magazines, organize your closet. Find other outlets.

Good luck. Hang in there.
I used to have this problem myself.
The first step is to recognize your problem, and call it a problem.

I found that the times I spent too much money were:
A) when I was sad or upset - to feel better
B) when I found a really great clearance sale - it was a real "shopping high"
C) getting a paycheck - after going without for a l-o-n-g time.
D) when I had a "money-making-plan" I would invest more than I was able to make back successfully.

In one way or another - as life goes forward, there were times when I would feel emotionally low, or emotionally upset. To compensate, in order to make myself feel better , I would go out and find something to buy.

To start with, I would limit the amount to be spent. I would look and look until I found something "just right" for say, $3.
I also cut-up my credit cards, and stopped writing checks (they would bounce and I was left with huge fees I couldn't afford to pay)

I use cash.
I only allow myself to carry as much money with me as I can afford to use as "spending money", having figured out that over a month's time $100 comes out to $3 a day. So, if I spend more, then I know the next day or two I have none to spend.

If I have bills to pay, or need to set money aside, I get it out of my reach - in a bank account, or go ahead and pay the bill.

In many ways the problem of compulsive shopping is more of an emotional problem -- like any other addiction. It takes learning to identify why you do what you do, and when you do what you do -- then you can move to learning to recognize your feelings and DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT.
Maybe rather than spending, you would, say, chew a strong-flavored gum. That would be something to use one of your senses to get your attention and satisfaction. An action like that can move you away from the"moment" and "need" to spend money.
One word home boi.Xanax!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


How can I © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net