Tuesday, May 25, 2010

How can I find a way to sleep at night without some kind of medication?

I can never fall asleep at night, I lie in my bed for hours thinking about what happened that day, what will happen tomorrow, and what has happened in the past. I've tried to meditate before going to bed but it just doesn't work.

When I finally do get to bed, I wake up a few hours later and start my way of thinking all over again. Usually it's something sad that I end up thinking about.

The only way I can fall asleep is to picture myself lying there, breathing, while thinking "inhale, exhale" but still my mind wanders while picture that AND saying inhale exhale. How can I make myself fall to sleep?
Answer:
Exercise in the evenings between 5pm to 8pm. Exercising helps release endorphins in your blood. The blood carries endorphins to your brain.

Avoid caffeinated and energy drinks 4hours before bed because they linger for a long time in your blood stream. Energy drinks will remain in your blood for up to 8 hours and will prevent you from leeping. Caffeinated drinks are diuretics and will keep your kidney active, thus interfering with your sleep cycle, as you have to keep going to the toilet.

Eat at least 4 hours before your "usual" bedtime. 2 hours before bed take a warm glass of milk with a medium or small banana; this increases the secretion of serotonin and melatonin, which help give you a sense of well being/euphoria and help induce sleep.

Someone like you, who seems like an anxious person might also benefit from massages right before you sleep; ask your partner/lover to give you a massage. Also,you might want to consider eating fish at least 3 times a week or taking omega fish oil supplements. Fish or omega oil supplements help with moods--the whole mechanism is too complicated to explain here, however, it works; it may help your mood.

Tai chi is very good for people with anxiety/stress issues. In Tai Chi, you're taught compsure, how to maintain calmness and reduce stress. If you can't meditate, Tai Chi is the next best thing to relaxing yourself. You might want to enrol in some classes. Hope the tips help you.
Exercise vigorously for at least 1/2 hour per day during the day, no exceptions, but NOT AT NIGHT. Avoid ALL stimulants including caffeine, all day long. Create a bedtime ritual, that lasts at least 30 minutes, including brushing teeth, etc... Also 2 hours before bed limit all entertainment to reading. No computer or tv or phone calls.
sadly, I have a tendency to go through this little process quite often myself. What helps to take my mind off of everything sometimes is playing some really soothing music that i can sing or hum along to in the dark as i'm laying there trying to fall asleep. For some reason, the singing along gets my mind off of all the other incessant things going on in my life.

Another thing I've tried to do is write out a lot of how I feel right before i feel. Whether online or in a journal, I think that writing this kind of purges the mind of all the busy stuff that goes on in there, and doing this prior to laying down gets me pretty tired and clears my head.

hope you get some rest soon.
There are a few things that can help you sleep at night.

One of them is exercise. Are you getting enough exercise? If you are, your body should be tired when it's time to go to bed.

Are you eating sugary foods or anything with caffeine in it before bed? Too much sugar or caffeine in your system can keep you up.

Sometimes watching TV or working on the computer right before bed can keep us up. It is recommended to turn them off at least a half hour before bed.

One thing that can help you fall asleep is anything lavendar scent. I hear it calms the nerves. Bubble bath, lavendar oil on the pillow or lotion. breathe it in.

Good luck, sleepless!
Avoid sugars and caffine and naps, talk to your doctor, make a routine for eating, pottying, bedtime, wake up time, exercising and so on. Also if your bed isn't comfortable fix that.. My boyfriend got a new bed because of his back and he sleeps like a baby now.

Sounds like you might have a bit of anxeity-I'm deffinatly no doctor-but sounds like stress or something like that. Try venting, lowering your stress level, relax, sit in a warm bath surrounded by a lavender scent listening to soothing music or meditate instead of sitting in the tub.

Or perhaps you have a small unnoticable pain that wakes you up, maybe try some Tylonol PM it helps me, but take it about 2 hours before you plan on sleeping and be sure you can devote 7 hours to sleeping or its hard to get up and around.

And lastly, my grama "taught" me how to fall asleep. Lay in bed, get comfy, don't move at all. Count slowly to 1000. If you move start back at one. I think the highest I've ever got is about 19 lol

Good Luck and if you havn't yet I'd be sure to see a doctor about it if I were you

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


How can I © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net