Tuesday, May 25, 2010

How can i cope with my borderline personality disorder and anxiety?

its ruling my life and stopping me from doing the things i want to do and stopping me from being the person i so want to be!
Answer:
I have had BPD all my life, I guess. I didn't know anything was wrong -- I just thought it was normal. I wasn't diagnosed until 1998. My doctor didn't give me a diagnosis; I knew I was depressed. I found out by accident when I was researching major depression on the Internet. I started connecting all the dots and asked my therapist if that is what his diagnosis was. He said yes but to be fair, do not label myself. I read everything I could find on BPD and found I didn't like myself very much. Once I knew I met 8 of the 9 criteria I was able to recognize these problems and be aware of my feelings. Accepting that there is a problem is the first step in solving that problem. I have been on meds since 1998, all different kinds, and in therapy since June 1998. I will be starting my tenth year with my therapist. He acknowledged that the accepted term of treatment for BPD is ten years. Now, he also says that he would not diagnose me as such. I still have black and white thinking, but I can work on that.

The best book I read was "Lost in the Mirror." A couple others are "I Hate You, Don't Leave Me" and "Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified." The more you understand your behavior, the better chance you have of doing something about it.

I hope you are in therapy and that you won't give up. Be patient with yourself.
Borderline Personality Disorder treatment can be difficult, but medications can be used to reduce some of the symptoms. At times a combination of medications is helpful. The most widely prescribed are antidepressants and mood stabilizers. In addition, atypical anti-psychotics may help reduce reckless and impulsive behaviors. It is also noted that after about 10 years of treatment, about half of those diagnosed no longer have the behaviors of BPD.

The majority of those with the disorder become gradually more stable in their emotions, relationships, and jobs when they reach the ages between 30 and 40 years.

If you think you might have BPD, seek medical and emotional help. Refrain from self-diagnosis and instead, seek help from professionals experienced in treating BPD. Many people have also found emotional help from a Christian counselor or local church leader. It is important to know that God loves you and wants to help you.
Examine closely http://1-800-therapist.com/index.html... (USA) Phone 1 800 843 7274 and find a therapist using Dialectic Behavior Therapy (DBT). See http://www.borderlinepersonalitytoday.co... (today.com) %26 http://www.behavioraltech.com/ (/downloads/dbtFaq_cons.pdf) and http://www.ezy-build.net.nz/~shaneris... on page 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


How can I © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net